Thursday, January 21, 2010

3- Reading Series- Joni Tevis

The BYU Reading Series is every Friday at noon in the library. I did not particularily enjoy last week's reading. There was only one line that stood out to me from the entire collection:
"When you blink, I hear it, eyelids' fluttering kiss."
This line is beautiful to me because the choppiness of each word seems to enhance the feeling of a fluttering eyelid.
I was surprised that I didn't like Joni Tevis's work. Based on the pre-reading I thought I would like her a lot. The pre-reading was an essay about grottos and a place called Rock City, and grottos are freaking awesome! Her actual reading focused on much blander topics and especially discussed death and other raw, dirty, exposed subjects which aren't my type.

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to sit in on one of those readings. If you like Lloyd Alexander, he has a presentation tomorrow, Jan 28 at 2 pm in the library auditorium. I had to laugh when you said that the death and raw, dirty stuff weren't your type. Most "literary value" books deal with that stuff. It's pretty hard to get around as an english major. :) Don't get me wrong, if you don't like it, there are other lit. books that don't mention any of those things, but sometimes they're harder to find. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete